Some of our prisons have two addresses - one for staff and another for inmates -- visit this page
to make sure you're addressing your mail correctly.
PENNSYLVANIA’S STATE PRISONS
(Listed in order of their openings)
(Huntingdon County) opened in 1889, was modeled after the Elmira Reformatory in New York. Originally the Huntingdon Reformatory for Young Offenders, it was later used for "defective delinquents" until 1960. Today, SCI Huntingdon houses adult male offenders.
Construction of SCI Rockview
(Centre County) was begun in 1912, and it opened in 1915. Originally planned to replace Eastern and Western Penitentiaries, it became instead the branch prison for Western Penitentiary, housing lesser security risk prisoners, most of whom were employed in Rockview's extensive farm program outside the gates. Today, this facility houses adult male offenders.
(Lycoming County) is the diagnostic and classification center for the state's female inmates. It was originally opened in 1920 as The Muncy Industrial Home, a training school for female offenders between the ages of 16 and 30. Incorporated into the Bureau of Correction in 1953, SCI Muncy houses adult female offenders and also houses all of the state’s female capital case inmates.
(Montgomery County), opened in 1929, performed the same branch function for Eastern until Eastern was closed in 1970. Today, this facility houses adult male offenders.. It also houses capital case inmates.
SCI Camp Hill
(Cumberland County) opened in 1941 as the Industrial School at White Hill for Young Offenders and received Huntingdon Reformatory's juvenile population en masse. In 1975 it was ruled that SCI Camp Hill was not an appropriate place to house juvenile offenders, and in 1977 the institution began housing adult male offenders. It now serves as the state's sole diagnostic and classification center for men and houses adult male offenders.
(Luzerne County) was opened in 1960 as an institution for defective delinquents. After the state Supreme Court decision of 1966 voided the concept of "defective delinquents," Dallas, like Huntingdon, became an adult institution. Today, this facility houses adult male offenders.
(Mercer County) opened in September 1978. It originally opened to offer programs to county prisoners with minimum sentences of six months and maximum sentences of two years. When the prison’s mission changed in the mid-1980s, it became a prison for adult male offenders.
(Schuylkill County) opened in 1987 and houses adult male offenders.
(Luzerne County) opened in 1988. Formerly a state hospital for the mentally ill operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, Retreat now houses adult male offenders.
(Huntingdon County) was constructed on the reservation surrounding SCI Huntingdon. Opened in 1988, this facility houses adult male offenders.
(Wayne County) is located in a building complex that was formerly part of Farview State Hospital. Pressed into operation ahead of schedule to help deal with the aftermath of the October 1989 riot at SCI Camp Hill, the joint on-site operation of a state prison and state mental health facility was unique in Pennsylvania at that time. In October 1995, Farview State Hospital was transferred from the Department of Public Welfare to the Department of Corrections, turning the facility into a facility that houses male offenders. The facility also houses the Department's Forensic Treatment Center, a unit which houses mentally disabled male inmates who require inpatient psychiatric care and treatment.
SCI Cambridge Springs
(Crawford County) opened in 1992, was formerly the Polish National Alliance College before being purchased by the Commonwealth in 1990. The campus was converted into a facility for female offenders.
Quehanna Motivational Boot Camp
(Clearfield County) opened in June 1992 as the Department of Corrections' first military-style motivational boot camp. Inmates assigned to the boot camp undergo a rigid six-month disciplinary and training program, which, if successfully completed, will result in placement in a community corrections center or a contract facility for an additional six months. The boot camp accommodates both male and female offenders.
(Somerset County) opened in May 1993 as a state prison for men.
SCI Coal Township
(Northumberland County) opened in May 1993 and houses male offenders.
(Schuylkill County) opened in July 1993 and houses male offenders.
(Erie County) opened in July 1993 and houses male offenders.
(Greene County) opened in November 1993 and houses male offenders. This prison also houses a majority of the state’s male capital case inmates.
(Clearfield County) opened in January 1996 and houses male offenders.
SCI Laurel Highlands
(Somerset County) opened in July 1996 and houses male offenders. This institution also has separate housing units for geriatric and terminally ill male inmates.
(Delaware County) opened in April 1998 as a non-smoking facility for men. It provides therapeutic services to inmates with drug and alcohol histories.
SCI Pine Grove
(Indiana County) opened in January 2001. This facility houses, in addition to regular adult male offenders, Young Adult Offender males. The Young Adult Offender Program (YAOP) is primarily designed for those offenders between the ages of 15-20 adjudicated as adults due to the nature of the criminal offense committed. The YAOP meets their special needs of education, adolescent development and recreational activity, while providing a safe environment for those offenders.
(Fayette County), which opened in September 2003, houses adult men.
(Forest County), which opened in October 2004, houses adult men.
SCI Benner Township
(Centre County), opened April 2013, houses adult men and serves as the DOC’s hub for the inmate transportation system.
(Montgomery County), is currently under construction with an anticipated completion/opening of summer 2018. This prison, which is a replacement for SCI Graterford and is located on SCI Graterford property, will house adult male inmates. It also will have a separate 192-bed female transition unit on its grounds that will assist women who are returning to the Philadelphia area after incarceration.
SCI Waynesburg (Greene County) -- Originally a youth development center operated by the state Department of Public Welfare, Waynesburg was converted to a minimum-security facility for adult females in July 1984. It operated as such until 1992, when the prison was converted to an adult male facility. At that time all females were transferred to SCI Cambridge Springs in Crawford County. The prison remained open, housing about 450 inmates and employing 220 individuals, until 2003. In July 2005, Governor Rendell signed a bill that transferred ownership of the 117-acre prison to Basalt Trap Rock Co. for $990,000.
SCI Cresson (Cambria County) opened in 1987. It is a former center for the mentally ill, operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. It was converted into a facility for adult male offenders. This facility was closed June 30, 2013.
SCI Greensburg (Westmoreland County) opened in 1969 as the first regional correctional facility, holding mostly short term offenders. On May 1, 1986, the State Regional Correctional Facility at Greensburg was redesignated "SCI Greensburg" by Governor's Proclamation. The purpose of the change was to permit housing of a greater number of state sentenced inmates -- a necessity with the growing inmate population. This facility, which housed adult male offenders, was closed June 30, 2013.
SCI Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) opened in 1882. Known to locals as “Western Pen,” the prison was put into “mothball” status in January 2005, when the final group of inmates was transferred to other prisons in the state. The administration building was renovated to serve as a community corrections center for approximately 80 residents. The building also houses community corrections offices. The prison was reopened in June 2007 to help the department deal with its ever-increasing inmate population. It houses adult male offenders.