SCI Coal Township
1 Kelley Drive
Coal Township, PA 17866-1020
Superintendent: Tom McGinley
Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services: Tony Luscavage
Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management: Victor Mirarchi
Business Manager: Nancy Wilson
Superintendent's Assistant: Trisha Kelley
The State Correctional Institution at Coal Township held its official Dedication on April 26, 1993. The construction of SCI Coal Township was part of Governor Casey's Operation Jump Start Program. This construction and expansion program was launched in 1990 to address the prison overcrowding problem, to create jobs and stimulate economic growth. SCI Coal Township was one of five institutions constructed and financed through county or municipal authorities and one of five prototypical state prisons dedicated in 1993. The Northumberland County Authority was responsible to oversee the construction financing and to develop the lease with the option to buy for the Department of Corrections.
SCI Coal Township was accredited by the American Correctional Association in 1996 and has successfully achieved reaccreditation every 3 years since that time.
Number of Acres Inside Perimeter: 43
Number of Acres Outside Perimeter: 183
Number of Operational Structures (inside and outside of perimeter): 34
Number of Housing Units: 10
Housing units consist of both cells and dormitory-style housing.
Special Features: One Special Needs Unit/Therapeutic Community Unit
Inmate Population: Click HERE
for the current population report
Inmate Average Age: 37
Total Number of Full-Time Employees: 526
Academic and Vocational Education:
• Academic Education: Learning Support, Adult Basic Education (ABE), GED, Business Education, ESL
• Vocational Education: Building Trades, Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC), Barber, Computer-Aided Drafting/Design (CADD), Electrical and Electronics, Upholstery.
All vocational classes offer industry-recognized certifications specific to the trade skills taught in the program.
• Inside-Out Dads
Long Term Offenders
• Sex Offender Moderate-High Intensity
• Sex Offender Low Intensity
• Sex Offender Booster Program
Sex Offender Program on the Special Needs Unit
• Pre-Vocational Skills Class
• MoneySmart Program
Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD)
• Therapeutic Community
• Parole Violator
• Outpatient Group
• Dual Diagnosis
• AA/NA/SOS Support Meetings
• Thinking for a Change
• Act 143 Victim Awareness
• Violence Prevention Moderate Intensity
Violence Prevention High intensity
• Batterer’s Intervention
Mental Health Programs
• Medication Compliance Group
• Dual Diagnosis Group
Virtual visitation: Virtual visitation is available at SCI Coal Township and is limited to persons living in the Pittsburgh, Erie and Philadelphia area(s). The program uses video conferencing technology to enhance parenting skills; allows an inmate to visit with immediate family members, caregivers of the inmate’s children, and other individuals on the inmate’s approved visiting list; increases the frequency of visits for an inmate; and permits the scheduling of visits at times that are best for the visitors. Every inmate in general population status, regardless of his custody level, is eligible. Inmates housed in administrative and disciplinary custody are not permitted to participate in the Virtual Visitation Program.
Community Work Program: The Community Work Program had a total of 1623 hours of community work in 2012.
• Painted Churches – interior and exterior
• Painted Gymnasium for the Shamokin Youth Basketball League
• Packed boxes of food items for the Salvation Army’s Christmas program
• Painted walls in the Shamokin City Hall
• Maintained the grounds at the Coal Township War Veterans Memorial and Mini Park
• Maintained cemetery plots at various church and community cemeteries
• Helped set up and take down items for various church festivals
• Painted equipment and maintained the grounds at community playgrounds
• Completed litter pick up on many area roadways for Penn DOT’s Adopt A Highway program