|Staff Mailing Address:|
1590 Walters Mill Road
Somerset, PA 15510-0001
|Inmate Mailing Address:|
Inmate Name/Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, FL 33733
Superintendent: Eric Tice
Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services: Craig Wadsworth
Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management: Dan Caro
Business Manager: Dennis Decker
Superintendent's Assistant: Christie Schenck
The State Correctional Institution at Somerset was built by a cooperative effort between state and county government to build the prison on a fast-track basis to accommodate quick expansion of the system. This prison is one of five prototypical state prisons dedicated in 1993. SCI Somerset was accredited by the American Correctional Association in 2012.
Number of Acres Inside Perimeter: 63
Number of Acres Outside Perimeter: 240
Number of Housing Units: 10
Housing units consist of both cells and dormitory-style housing.
Special Features: One Special Needs Unit
Inmate Population: Click HERE
for the current population report
Inmate Average Age: 37
Total Number of Full-Time Employees: 585
Academic and Vocational Education:
• Academic Education: Adult Basic Education, Commonwealth Secondary Diploma, English Second Language and General Education Diploma
• Vocational Education: Business Education, Carpentry, Custodial Maintenance, Barber License, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing and Vinyl Siding
All vocational classes offer industry-recognized certifications specific to the trade skills taught in the program.
• Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Reading to your Children
• Sex Offender Moderate-High Intensity Programming
• Offender Low-Intensity Programming
• Sex Offender Programming for low functioning inmates
• SOP Booster
• Pre-Vocational Skills Class
• MoneySmart Program
Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD)
• Therapeutic Community
• Outpatient Therapy Group
• Dual Diagnosis
• AA/NA/SOS Support Meetings
• Thinking for a Change
• Act 143 Victim Awareness
• Violence Prevention Moderate and High levels
• Batterer’s Intervention
Mental Health Programs
• MH Education
• MH Management
• MH Peer Group
• MH Community Re-Entry Group
• Dual Diagnosis Group
• MH Support Group for Recent Psychiatric Commitment Returns
• MH Coping Skills/Life Skills
• MH Survivors Support Group
• SAA Group
Correctional Industries: SCI Somerset has a Correctional Industries laundry. The laundry processes 10.5 million plus pounds per year. Their 18 customers include the Department of Corrections, Department of Public Welfare, veterans homes and universities. There is an average of 72 inmates per shift and the laundry is run for two shifts.
Community Work Program:
The Community Work Program (CWP) had a total of 19,747 hours of community work for fiscal 2012-2013 for an estimated savings to the community and other government agencies of $143,165.75.
• Painted Churches – interior and exterior
• Performed cleaning, painting and landscaping work for public and private schools.
• Performed cleaning and grounds keeping work at Flight 93 Memorial.
• Performed building and equipment cleaning for Local Fire and Police Departments.
• Assist the local food pantry monthly in unloading supplies.
• Provided 2582 hours of service to Laurel Hill State Park, Kooser State Park and Department of Forestry painting, cleaning, landscaping and cutting firewood.
• Provided 3651 hours of highway litter pick up.
Provided 2,389 hours of various labor services to local municipalities.
Provided 7,457 hours of services to local non-profit organizations.