Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Corrections > Inmates > How to Send an Inmate Money

Inmate Accounts - How to Send an Inmate Money

Frequently Asked Questions ~ Deposit Slip 

The Department of Corrections uses JPAY for the processing of ALL MONEY ORDERS sent to PA DOC inmates, as well as ALL online and over-the-phone credit card transactions.

Money orders are NOT accepted at individual institutions.

The ONLY way to deposit money into an inmate's account is through JPAY or through lobby kiosks at each individual state prison. 

DO NOT send money to any other individual, website or e-mail account!

These services allow the funds to be posted to inmate accounts electronically and results in quicker access to the deposited funds.

  JPAY Table showing Money Transfer Fees.JPG
 More Information | 800.574.5729


1. JPAY will accept ALL money orders. Money Orders will be processed upon RECEIPT by JPAY.  Money Orders will be processed for posting to inmate accounts as they are processed by JPAY.  Funds will be automatically deposited into inmate accounts once per day every business day (M-F).
2.  A Deposit Slip MUST be filled out and submitted with EVERY money order.  Slips are available at, visiting rooms and the DOC's website.
3.  ALL money order deposit slips MUST have the following information CLEARLY TYPED in order for the funds to be posted to the inmate account:  (Handwritten forms are subject to delay.)
a.         CORRECT inmate ID #
b.         Inmate name
c.         Sender’s name and address
(Notice: If it cannot be determined who the money order belongs to, JPay will hold funds until they can be verified.  For full Terms and Conditions of held funds please visit for full disclosure.)

4.  DO NOT include personal items when sending money orders.  The lock box is for money orders ONLY  Any personal items will be discarded.



Please remember:   If your friend or family member owes fines, costs or restitution, a percentage of any money you deposit (regardless if it is electronically deposited) may go to paying his or her debt in accordance with DC-ADM 005

This page was last updated on 09/28/2016.